Dental Crowns in Ladys Island
Sea Island Dentistry provides dental crowns in Ladys Island, SC. Call 843-271-6353 to learn more and schedule an appointment.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a protective covering placed over a tooth, sometimes called a cap, that looks like a natural tooth. It is a restorative solution for a tooth that is severely damaged or decayed, but the root is still intact.
Before a crown is placed, the existing tooth is reduced to a smaller size to accommodate the crown. All of the decayed portion of the tooth is removed as well, leaving only healthy tooth enamel. Then the crown is permanently cemented into place.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer many benefits to patients, including:
- Prevents further decay. A dental crown protects the remaining healthy tooth material from decay.
- Allows the natural tooth root to remain in place. As long as the tooth root is healthy when the crown is placed it can remain in place in your mouth, preventing the need for tooth replacement.
- Looks natural. A crown can be made of porcelain that resembles tooth enamel for a natural appearance.
- Provides adequate bite strength. Once your permanent crown is placed and your dentist gives you the go ahead, you can eat the foods you love without worrying about damaging your crown.
- Can be cared for like a natural tooth. You can brush and floss your teeth with a crown in place just as you would with your natural teeth. You’ll still need to go to the dentist every 6 months for dental cleanings and exams.
Types of Crowns We Offer
We provide several different types of porcelain based on strength and aesthetics. Porcelain crowns are the most natural looking option. Resembling tooth enamel in color and texture, porcelain is very realistic. It is also strong enough to bear the force of biting and chewing.
Are You a Good Candidate for Crowns?
If you have a tooth that is severely decayed, cracked, or chipped but the root is still intact, you may be a good candidate for a crown. An evaluation will need to be done first to determine whether or not the root and the pulp inside of the tooth are healthy enough to remain. A root canal procedure may need to be done in preparation for a crown placement, which involves removing the pulp from inside of the tooth and replacing it with composite material to treat or prevent infection.
Why Choose Sea Island Dentistry?
At Sea Island Dentistry our first priority is always to help you keep your teeth healthy and in place inside your mouth. A crown provides a successful restoration option for a severely damaged tooth, allowing the root to remain in place. You can avoid a more costly tooth replacement option, such as a bridge or a dental implant. Our crowns are made of quality materials that last forever as long as you take care of them. We also have the unique ability to 3D print porcelain crowns in our dental office.