Dental Bridges in Ladys Island
Sea Island Dentistry provides dental bridges in Ladys Island, South Carolina. Call 843-271-6353 to learn more and schedule an appointment.
What is a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge is a tooth replacement option for missing, decayed, or damaged teeth. A traditional bridge consists of crowns placed over the existing teeth with one or two artificial teeth (pontics) suspended between them. When multiple teeth need to be replaced, an implant supported bridge may be used.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges provide many benefits as a tooth replacement option:
- Affordable. A bridge is an affordable tooth replacement option when compared to a dental implant.
- Replace multiple adjacent teeth. A bridge can replace multiple teeth in a row with a single prosthetic.
- Save time. A traditional bridge is a non-surgical procedure that takes less time to complete and requires less recovery time.
- Works irregardless of jaw bone health. If a tooth has been missing for a while, the jaw bone and support structure for that tooth may weaken, meaning a dental implant may not be possible. A bridge can be used even if there is insufficient bone structure in the jaw.
Types of Dental Bridges
There are 4 main types of dental bridges:
- Traditional. A traditional bridge consists of two crowns with one or more pontics suspended between. The crowns are placed over the healthy teeth on either side of the gap to hold the bridge securely in place.
- Cantilever. A cantilever bridge is held in place with just one crown placed over a single tooth. This type is typically used to replace a back molar that has no other teeth behind it. It is not as secure as a traditional bridge.
- Maryland. A Maryland bridge is supported by metal clasps that are cemented to the existing teeth. It avoids the loss of enamel that is required for crown placement, but it is not as secure as a traditional bridge.
- Implant supported. An implant supported bridge may be used when 3 or more teeth need to be replaced. Dental implants are placed on either side of the gap with artificial teeth suspended between them. The implants provide support when multiple teeth are missing.
Are You a Good Candidate for a Dental Bridge?
A dental bridge is a tooth replacement solution that works for the majority of patients. Even if a tooth has been missing long enough for the support structures to have broken down, a bridge can still be a viable option. It prevents the need for a bone graft procedure to prepare for an implant. In the case of an implant supported bridge, you can save money by using just one or two implants to replace multiple teeth. A simple evaluation will allow us to determine whether or not you are a good candidate for a dental bridge.
Why Choose Sea Island Dentistry?
At Sea Island Dentistry we believe in finding the right solution for you. Some patients benefit from the use of a bridge to replace missing or damaged teeth. Others may prefer a dental implant. We will have an open discussion, allowing you to ask questions to ensure that you understand your options in order to make an informed decision. The well being of our patients is always our top priority.